Diehard supporters of slain Moamer Kadhafi might carry out attacks on February 17, the anniversary of the uprising against the former Libyan strongman, Libya’s army chief said on Wednesday.
“We should be careful. On February 17 there might be problems from loyalists of Kadhafi,” Colonel Yussef al-Mangush told reporters on the sidelines of a meeting with the military attaches of foreign embassies in Tripoli.
“There are some fears of that.”
The uprising that ousted Kadhafi erupted on February 17, 2011 in the eastern city of Benghazi and later spread across the entire country.
The bloody conflict ended with the capturing and killing of the former Libyan leader in a fierce battle in his hometown of Sirte on October 20.
Mangush took over as new chief of Libyan army last month after he was appointed to the job by Libya’s ruling National Transitional Council.
During his meeting with the military attaches, he called upon them to support Libya in building its new army.
“We hope to have strong cooperation with you to build the new Libyan army,” Mangush said.