Syria’s Interior Minister Mohammed al-Shaar left for Damascus on Wednesday after medical treatment in Beirut for wounds sustained in a suicide bomb attack, Lebanon’s official news agency said.
“After he was treated in the American University Hospital, the Syrian interior minister left Beirut in the afternoon on a private jet to Damascus,” said NNA.
A Lebanese lawyer said he filed a lawsuit on Monday against Shaar, accusing him of having ordered hundreds of killings in Tripoli in 1986 when he was in charge of security in the port city of northern Lebanon.
Shaar arrived in Beirut last week for treatment for light wounds sustained to the shoulder after a deadly suicide bomb attack on the ministry on December 12, a Syrian security source told AFP on condition of anonymity.
The jihadist Al-Nusra Front claimed responsibility for the attack.