Interpol said Friday it was not lifting arrest warrants for Iranians suspected of involvement in the 1994 bombing of a Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, despite Tehran’s steps to co-operate.
Argentine Foreign Minister Hector Timerman read from a letter announcing the international police organization’s decision at a press conference.
He noted that while an agreement between Argentina and Iran to set up a truth commission over the bombing of the AMIA Jewish community center in Buenos Aires was “positive,” it did not mean the arrest warrants would be lifted.
The 1994 bombing killed 85 people and wounded 300. The agreement between the two governments was reached last month but it has been sharply criticized by Israel, Argentina’s Jewish community and opposition politicians.
Argentina, home to Latin America’s largest Jewish community, has long suspected Iran of being behind the bombing of the AMIA Jewish charities building in the capital.
The bombing came two years after a similar attack on the Israeli embassy. Tehran has denied any involvement.
Last month’s deal sets up an independent “truth commission” to probe the bombing, which the Argentine government says will pave the way for eight Iranian suspects to be questioned by an Argentine judge.
The suspects include Iran’s Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi, former president Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani and ex-foreign minister Ali Akbar Velayati, who have had international arrests warrants out against them since 2006.
Iran, however, has insisted that none of the suspects will be questioned.