Every Sunday, we ask illustrator Hélène Aldeguer to sum up the past week's leading news stories from across the Middle East. See cartoon above and links below.
* UN takes action on women’s rights. Will Middle Eastern countries join too?
* Disastrous situation in Gaza, with both floods and dire reports about the economic situation after the Egyptian blockade. Some say it’s now worse than ever before.
* More pressure in EU to resume direct talks between Israelis and Palestinians: France holding vote to recognise Palestine, along with discussions in Brussels about broader EU-based recognition. Meanwhile, Israeli Foreign Minister Lieberman offered his idea for peace: ‘Pay Arabs to leave’.
* “We made mistake after mistake”: Syrian activists mourn death of the revolution
* Egypt sees deadly violence during Islamist demonstrations